[ 3872 View / 1 Reply ]

I think that your HomeCloud service (as well as other ASUS products) tend to be the best if not only options available for advanced tech users who like to be in control of their data and get hands on with the use of their systems. Because of this, I think that you should consider focusing your development efforts on with this type of user in mind by providing features that are difficult or impossible to find elsewhere.

Here are some assumptions that apply to myself and possibly others out there:

The need for high tech documentation
Many of us use advanced, high performance computing equipment at home (which is why we like ASUS routers), however, because we're developers or system admins, we're constantly overloading our systems with tons of software and lots of experimental configurations, in some cases, we have technet subscriptions and use enterprise software such as windows server on a home computer for non-business purposes. Because of this, it's important that we have specific information on software requirements since we're always locking down unused system services, file/folder permissions, firewall ports, etc. until we actually need them. The good news is that if you were to create a wiki page, many people would not mind creating a bit of documentation, especially if there is a free version for experimental/home use.

Better alternative to Windows Explorer File and Data Management
Windows has a built-in offline folder feature, however, it is very inconvenient to use because you need to constantly balance between choosing which folders to locally cache on a laptop and not using up too much space on that speedy, but small SSD drive. A few options might be to enable RDP or FTP and make it available over the internet, which we'd rather not do in part because that just means having to stay on top of yet another collection of software settings, security, and updates, as well as slowing down the host system with a solution that's not ideal. Another option is to enable OneDrive's "Fetch File" setting which allows you to view your home documents on the microsoft website, but that means having to download a file in order to work on it, then re-uploading it which is not only cumbersome but has obvious privacy issues for advanced users who are security-conscious. Bittorrent Sync, although not a complete solution, has a nice feature that they sum up as follows "When 'Selective Sync' is on, Sync will create placeholder files in your filesystem that can be searched locally. Download only the files you need, when you need them, without having to replicate entire folders on every device. Placeholder files are representations of your files that can be double-clicked and downloaded locally"

A need for a full-featured backup solution
There are many backup and sync programs out there, but so far, I have not been able to find one that makes all of the best features available in one application. I think that I have only come across one backup program that has an archive feature where you can place files in cold/offline storage while still making them show up in search results in Windows. One good use of this might be if a person buys a downloadable software program online that should be moved out of the download folder and placed alongside its license key, receipt, warranty info, support info, etc. into an offline archive. For important programs, perhaps their update files and settings history can be appended or somehow kept in association with it's respective offline archive. I think that backup programs should take the lead on making tags like IDv3 available for all file types in order to better organize and automate the backup process. Some other great features that do not seem to be widespread are the peer2peer cloud backup storage strategy that symform uses as well as the one that crashplan uses where your data gets encrypted and distributed among other computers.

Mobile Access
One of the most annoying things about accessing cloud data on mobile devices is that the files cannot be used as if they were stored in local storage. This often means having to use a file editor, music player, etc. you don't like because you're locked into just one choice. This has the added problem of having to install a ton of apps in order to deal with the issue which in turn ends up draining the cellphone battery very quickly, forcing you to keep your "mobile" phone constantly plugged into a charger.

We will refer your voice to Product Dep. as user's feedback. Please accept our sincere apology for the limitation at present. We believe your suggestions will positively affect the direction of our product in the future.

Thank you for willing to share your precious idea with us!