Restoring my files

[ 2752 View / 9 Reply ]

I have used the ASUS webstorage for 1 year now with the original unlimited package. Now we I go to upgrade or paid for the next year you don't have a unlimited storage package. And come to find I cannot restore my backups that I have stored on your system. I currently have 68 gigs of files on your storage system with no way to restoring them to my machine. I have followed the somewhat small instructions for ex. on the following link (https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/features/) is says: "When you are backed up with ASUS WebStorage, you can be worry free even if your PC crashed. Simple retrieval process will restore all your data back at once." and I sent a support ticket on Oct 6, 2012 saying the following: "I have a lot of storage under my account however I cannot download large amount of data down to my machine. I have tried to do this several times including downloading individual folders. I must have some way to download my data before my account expires. Right now you do not have an unlimited storage account which is what I have now. So, please let me know what I should to try to get my data down to my pc?"

I am now letting others now that there is no way to restore your large files by using ASUS webstorage. I have 68 gigs and now way of recoving those files. And now they want to me to over $100 to get an upgrade. Please understand, you ASUS webstorage can provide me a method for retrieve my files then I will gladly purchase an upgrade. Until then, if you are considering purchases this service from ASUS webstorage - be wary and make you you can down load large files.

Thanks,
Maurice aka MRPCMAN

Hi, Maurice

When I backup my data by ASUS WebStorage or Time Machine, only what file I needed now
would be downloaded. It never was a large file to me. (what I meant large file is  single file size > 2GB)

I have always believed that backup on internet is settling down yourself in cloud storage. The benefit is just keeping unchanged file backups on a crash-free drive for this year I paid. You know? I'm also using the unlimited package, but it's logically that unlimited data size can never be downloaded in my limited life. The only way to explain it is just change how I think the way file be used from, never every thing from my local disk again.

It's my way of using backup function, and I have 213GB size files on cloud.

Note:
I still keep a removable backup on my NAS System with RAID, and I had changed its HDD twice for HDD error in past 2 years .

Btw, if you just care about the payment, one more clue it is. As you are unlimited user like me, you can see "Different ways to buy" at the buying page and  can continue your old package payment with the link "For old users, renew your Gold / Gold Plus program".

--
hcjao
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s/3E0BD8C06FCA4D7AA3321ED4253053BDY

Hcjao,

Thanks for your reply and discussion however have notice that you have not seen any reply by ASUS!

I understand you have 213 gb on the cloud (is that ASUS) and if is how do YOU plan to restore the files to your new pc if needed? because ultimately, the problem is how restore this data from the cloud. Please tell me how you plan to restore all of data from ASUS webstorage?

Thanks,
Maurice

Hi, Maurice

Actually, I realized it's impossible to restore all of (unlimited) data from cloud and ASUS WebStorage tell me that packaging download is not safe when packaging size > 500MB when I packaging folders, so I always tried package less files or download single file at once.  I had reinstall my system twice after using this service, and never tried to restore all data back to my PC. Why should I take time to download them all if they were safe on cloud?

Although you talked about backup, I used synchronization(MySyncFolder) when I really need to keep a copy between cloud and my PC. The performance of synchronization function is much better than the backup function, I tried.

And you are right, I have not seen any reply by ASUS recently because I found my stable way to use the service. I bought it just for its unlimited  size and  I can get single file at anywhere anytime. If I had to leave the service one day... oh! wait! That's why I said backup on internet is settling down myself in cloud storage, I would never leave this service before I can not pay for this.

I know it's a negative approach to your question, but it's positive to me. I didn't mean anything bad.

hcjao

HCJAO,

I appreciate your approach however I have had several backup programs i.e. Mozi, Carbonite and iDrive. I thought that because ASUS had a backup feature then it should also have restore just as the other backup software mention above however IT DOES NOT! ASUS, give me a way to restore my 68gigs of data and I'll gladly purchase another account. However, ASUS you are hold my and every customer who uses ASUS webstorage data hostage. If will have no way of being able to restore all of the data storage originally as a backup then why offer the service as a backup? Will someone please answer that?

If you office backup service than you must have a restorative process for restore all of your customer's data!!!!

Thanks,
Maurice

Hi,

MrPacman, I do not get it : yes, the web interface sucks pretty badly, but can't you just drag and drop your data from the Asus Webstorage drive in your file explorer to your PC in order to restore your files ?

Impossible to restore data

I have huge problems restoring my data. I realize that I cannot download bulks of over 500 MB, but I cannot even access my larger folders to download smalle subfolders (or even single files). One of my folders is over 68 GB, and it can (obviously) not be downloaded. How can I access this folder to download subfolders or single files? When using the web-GUI is fails, and when using drag/drop in explorer it fails. The folders cannot be accessed from either explorer og the web interface.

Anyone (preferably from ASUS) who are able to help me?

Hi Osebak,

Have you tried what I suggest in my former message ?

If you did, could you please comment on how it went ?

Hi SauvegardeJJ.

Yes I've tried the drag & drop functionality - but all computers I've tested crashes. The folders are simply too big to move, copy or even open.

Hi,

Yeah, this AWS drive hates it when you drag and drop an entire folder, specially with sub-folders. Looks like you're gonna have to drag n drop the content of each folder individually (yes, that sucks).